33+ Side Job Ideas

side job ideas

by Tim on September 2, 2011

Side jobs are a great way to make money with free time you have in the evening, weekends, and even early morning hours.  If you’re motivated and want to make anywhere from $20 to $200+ each week in side jobs, I’m absolutely confident that you can achieve that with some of these jobs.  I know because I’m living proof.  It’s not always easy, and sometimes you have to wake up really early and make a few sacrifices – but if you’re needing to earn money with side jobs, here’s a great list of side job ideas that you can draw from.

1. Freelance Writing  If you have a knack for writing and want to get paid for your skills, you can market your talent on freelance writing job boards or sign up to be a contributor for Yahoo Contributor Network or Hub Pages.

2. Auto Detailing  You don’t need much to start an auto detailing business.  Pick up a few cleaning supplies from Autozone or Walmart, make a few flyers and approach businesses or homes in your neighborhood about a ‘mobile auto detailing’ service.  You can easily make $70 – $120 per car.  This was a great job for me during my college years.

3. Babysitting  Make yourself available on the weekends or even during days that you know you’ll be off from work (holidays, etc) and you could take home a few extra dollars by babysitting.  I’ve even heard that pet sitting is a good way to make an extra $20 in a weekend.

4. Car Repair  Know a thing or two about repairing or restoring cars?  I once helped my Dad restore a neighbor’s car and we made a few thousand dollars from it. Not bad for a summer of side work.

5. Woodworking  If you can use a jig saw like no other, you can make money.  If you create custom furniture or home furnishings, you can list them on eBay or Craigslist or even put up a website to sell them to anyone who’s interested.

6. Jewelry Making  You’ll be surprised what people are looking for when it comes to jewelry.  If you can make unique pieces of jewelry, you might find a buyer through eBay or Etsy.com – a site where you can sell your handmade creations.

7. Home Made Candles  It’s easy to make candles and the markup is very good.  Like jewelry, you can sell it online or even find local stores that will sell it for you.  Check out this recipe on how to make beeswax candles.

8. eBay Business  Starting an eBay business is a great way to make extra money.  You can sell stuff you already have (we paid for Christmas doing this last year!), visit garage sales and resell treasures you’ve found, or make your own things and sell them.

9. Office Cleaning Every business office needs to be cleaned.  This is a great job if you want steady evening work, because you have to wait for the office to clear out before you can start cleaning.  Approach local businesses and churches to see if you can provide cleaning services at a lower price than what they’re paying.

10. Pet Services – Love dogs?  There’s a job for that.  You can walk, wash, pet-sit, board overnight, groom and make dog treats as a side job.  People love their pets, so you might be busier than you think with this one.  Oh…and don’t forget the pet waste removal side job…

11. Music lessons  This can be very lucrative and not too time consuming.  I provided saxophone lessons once a week for 30 minutes and made $20.  Every month I made enough to fill my car with gas.  Well worth it for a quick 30-minute lesson – plus I got to do something I really enjoyed!

12. Tutoring Sessions  While my brother studied to be a teacher, he had a few side jobs tutoring students in math.  The going rate is about $20-$30 per half hour in some areas, so don’t sell yourself cheap if you know how to teach others.

13. Accounting Services  Do you know how to keep well organized and manage transactions and business accounting software?  You can really be valuable to a business if you understand bookkeeping and can start a great side business doing it.

14. Tax Preparation  Everyone needs to file taxes if they have a job. If you’re comfortable and knowledgeable with tax preparation, you can hire out your service around tax time and make a few hundred dollars easily with tax prep.

15. Craft Making  Like to sew or knit?  What about making scrapbooks or other crafts?  Make extras to sell and see if your friend are willing to buy your crafts.  You may even have local boutiques in town that allow you to sell in their shop.

16. Parking Service Do you live near a baseball field or high traffic downtown area?   You might be able to make a few extra dollars by renting out your parking spots to game-goers.  To be honest, I’m not sure if you have to have a special permit, but it was worth bringing up as an idea!

17. Painting Service  Here’s another realistic business idea that can be profitable on the weekends or evenings.  You can set yourself apart by learning how to paint rooms in a unique way and hiring out yourself as a specialty painting professional.  Or, you can take a more simple route and paint a neighbor’s fence or shed – it’s up to you!

18. Yard Work  This is a great job for teens and adults.  You can set up a recurring job like mowing or look for specialty work like creating mulch beds around trees or cleaning up debris.

19. Handyman Service  Put up an ad on Craigslist or in your local hardware store and you could make a few quick dollars doing small repairs or installations in homes.  Better check with an insurance company before you get jobs that are too big.

20. Website Design  It’s surprising how many old looking websites are around today.  Many small business and church websites can really use an update, so if you’re comfortable with WordPress, you might be able to make a few hundred dollars in designing and setting up simple websites.

21. Graphic Design   Are you a whiz with photoshop or illustrator?  You can market yourself as a graphic designer and create ads and flyers for anyone in need of a fresh look.

22. T-shirt design  Have some cool ideas for a shirt, don’t let the logistics of making and selling shirts keep you from starting.  An online site called Café Press allows you to upload your design, create a storefront and sell shirts without the need to make and ship them.  Café Press takes care of all the details for you and gives you a commission of the sale price – about 20% but you can adjust the price to earn more.

23. Music gigs  You can make good money playing at weddings, funerals, and Christmas parties.  My wife plays violin and made over $200 playing one gig last Christmas.

24. Personal Training – With the New Year around the corner, people are going to be setting goals to lose weight and to get in shape.  Put your services in front of them this fall and try to get a few clients going.

25. Health Coach  If you are a knowledgeable about nutrition and have been certified, you can be a nutritional consultant and help people with meal planning and even exercise routines that help them to get in shape.

26. Pizza Delivery  Dave Ramsey wasn’t kidding when he said you should go deliver pizzas.  It’s a decent way to make money on the side.

27. Valet Parking  You don’t need much to start a valet parking business.  If you’re familiar with the business model, you can start your own service and keep the profits for yourself!

28. Video Production  Technology is becoming more widespread and church, schools, and businesses need talented people like you to create videos to share their message with the public.

29. Pampered Chef  (reader’s suggestion) Owned by Warren Buffett’s company Berkshire Hathaway, the Pampered Chef Company is designed to give people the opportunity to sell kitchenware and other goods via hosted parties.  If you like entertaining, you might consider Pampered Chef as a side gig.

30. Electronics Installation  If you’re a tech savvy person, you can make a few extra dollars by setting up electronics for less tech savvy people.  Check out your local electronics store to see if they would let you put up a flyer – assuming they don’t already offer a similar service.  If they do, ask if they’d hire you on the side :)

31. Snow Removal  You might have to wake up really early to do this one, but it’s a good way to make the best of a snow day.  While everyone is stuck in their house, you’re outside making money.  Can’t beat that!

32. Powerwashing  Investing in a good power washer can make for a great side business.  You can clean siding, porches, driveways, or just about anything someone wants to be cleaned (via high pressure).

33. Computer Repair  If you are good with computers, you can offer services that include: data backup and restore, antivirus installation, hardware replacement, software updates.

I’ll try to add to this list when I think of more ideas.  If you have some ideas, share them in the comments.  If they make the list, I’ll give you the credit! :)

Image credit

krantcents September 2, 2011

Great list! I might add handyman. There is always a need for someone to do miscellaneous tasks or repairs.

Carrie Smith September 2, 2011

This is a great list of ideas. I’ve used both Yahoo Contributor and HubPages and I really enjoy both of them. The online communities are friendly and they have helped my writing skills.

Tutoring lessons is a nice idea I’ve been wanting to try my hand at doing. Thanks for sharing.

Candiss September 3, 2011

A few more that my husband and I have done: designing and maintaining websites, programming, making slide show DVDs, selling Pampered Chef, making hair bows and crafts, care for the elderly, & tree services. If people know you work hard and are willing to work, they will know to go to you when they need help!

Tim September 3, 2011

Great ideas Candiss! You guys know the value of hard work :) Thanks for sharing your side job ideas!

Emma September 3, 2011

Breeding dogs is NOT a way to make money. To produce healthy dogs, that follow breed standards, is an expensive adventure. Health testing, competitions (obedience, conformation, whatever) to show that your dog is indeed within breed standards, takes quite a bit of money. This article will to help produce more backyard breeders to fill up animal shelters.

Tim September 3, 2011

You’re right Emma – not everyone should get into dog breeding, especially just because of money. If you have a passion for raising healthy dogs and keep strict breeding standards, there will be costs that you incur, but you should still make some profit. If breeders didn’t make money, they wouldn’t keep doing it out of charity. BUT that doesn’t mean everyone should breed. I changed the wording and shortened the suggestion to simply encourage pet services, not breeding. Thanks Emma!

Candiss September 3, 2011

Might I add, if you are interested in Pampered Chef, let me know! I am a Pampered Chef Consultant and would be happy to help you start your business! ;)

Wilma Nel May 6, 2012

I live in South Africa but can you tell me more about this. Sounds interesting.

Thanks

dennis the menance September 14, 2011

I would like to comment about the job situation. I believe that technology will continue to thin out the work’ force computers are making more and more jobs obsolete all the time. In addition to this outsourcing of service jobs to other countries will continue.

Order Sharelord February 21, 2012

You’ve mentioned thirty three interesting ways of earning income. But I want to know that which the best way for earning money easily is.

stock market February 21, 2012

Thanks for sharing this b;log. I like your views about this topic. Order Sharelord

Bronwen February 22, 2012

These are some great ideas! I am a stay at home mom who has been an entrepreneur for a long time now. I would like to learn more about how to make money online, but people should not be afraid to try something new.

Bronwen February 22, 2012

Oops! See, I just tried something new :) It was to try adding a link to my comment. I wanted to link to my article how to succeed in a bad economy . I blew it in the last comment, but I’m trying again! Thanks again Tim for your great ideas!

Gina Hammond March 31, 2012

What about helping older people who don’t understand facebook and how to load it up with pics of their work and family members?
Gina Hammond

Blaine Nickerson April 7, 2012

These are great ideas. The senior market is definitely a good niche to service with just about any job idea and are fun group of people to help. A niche idea found recently was women house painters. Many single women do not trust strange men coming into their house and would feel much more at ease if they could hire a female painter. Read of one lady who started this and one of her first customers gave 7 referrals! Cheap word of mouth advertising could spread quick in this niche.

MultiMillionaireRoad April 8, 2012

If you’re a student (particularly in UK) you can sell tickets for nightclubs. Just as I did. made about £50 a week.

de May 11, 2012

i want a have side job

Dan - BankVibe May 14, 2012

I can personally attest to number 32.

When I was in college I ran a small pressure washing company in the summer. This may not work in all areas, but in the Pacific Northwest it (and perhaps Northeast) there’s definitely a large demand for it in the summer.

All the winter rain and snow can really make driveways look pretty ugly and if you do a little marketing in some nicer neighborhoods, you’ll find plenty of people would love to have a clean driveway for a few hundred bucks :)

Pressure washer costs about $700-$2000 depending on strength, but a lower end washer should be able to handle decks and driveways. 3-4 hour jobs can easily fetch you $300-$400 dollars in the right areas.

Nice comprehensive post!

Natalie May 22, 2012

Oh yes! All you need to put down is lemonade and cookies :D !!!!!!!!!!

earn extra income June 2, 2012

Have some awesome thoughts for a clothing, never let the strategies of making and promoting tops keep you from starting. A site known as Coffee shop Media allows you to publish your design, make a store and sell tops without the need to make and send them. Coffee shop Media covers all information for you and gives you a commission payment of the sale cost – about 20% but you can modify the cost to generate more.

Steven July 22, 2012

As an alternative

Taka August 20, 2012

What a list!! Great ideas for extra income!

service accountant August 21, 2012

Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my site so i came to return the
choose?.I’m trying to to find issues to improve my web site!I suppose its adequate to use some of your ideas!!

black friday 2012 October 24, 2012

I am really glad to read this website posts which contains tons of useful information, thanks
for providing these information.

black friday 2012 November 21, 2012

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers

Georgetta November 22, 2012

I think this is one of the most significant information for me.

And i am glad reading your article. But should remark
on few general things, The web site style is ideal, the articles
is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

maharashtramedicalcouncil.Org November 22, 2012

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet people,
its really really nice piece of writing on building
up new web site.

when is black friday this year November 22, 2012

You have made some really good points there.
I looked on the net for more info about the issue and found most people will go along with
your views on this site.

Mama's Always Home March 20, 2013

Great list for side money jobs. Thanks for sharing Tim.

Judy Burger March 22, 2013

Thanks for some good ideas. I’m a Messianic Jewess; I do custom portraits and I need more business. I’m also a reading tutor; I teach Sam Blumenfeld’s Alpha-Phonics Reading Program. I live in central-Eastern Ohio.
Thanks (I have some of my art on Facebook)

Mark Cash May 31, 2013

Great tips for people, who are looking for a way to make some extra money. I would add an incomes from internet. That can be also very high, if there is time to focus on.

Adrian July 1, 2014

Really impressive article you got there! I’m despirate for ways to make extra money and I’ve been searching online and found your article after reading http://www.zanda.com/blog/ways-to-make-money-fast. I’m just happy I found your article, I now have other options on how to make money! Thank you!!!